Activated charcoal powder has many health benefits, including teeth whitening. It helps eliminate stains by pulling out stain-causing bacteria and food particles. It binds these unwanted substances to its porous surface so that you can flush them out when you gargle.
Now, hold your horses before you go diving into that barbeque pit to do your how-to-make-charcoal-powder-for-teeth-DIY thing. You cannot use ordinary charcoal for teeth whitening. That is toxic, specifically made to fire up and not to be ingested. Activated charcoal is made through a controlled process of repeated heating of organic compounds to produce carbon. This procedure results in a negatively charged highly porous carbon material capable of attracting and binding elements to its surface.
How do I make charcoal powder then?
Technically speaking, you cannot do your own activated charcoal at home using your stove. You need sophisticated tools and equipment in order to make it. However, you can make your own mix of DIY whitening powder using activated charcoal powder bought from a pharmacy, health and wellness, as well as cosmetic stores.
Activated charcoal teeth whitening powder
The simplest way to make your mix of teeth whitening powder is to combine these ingredients: activated charcoal, eggs shell powder, bentonite clay, and coconut oil. Since we’ve explained how activated charcoal whitens teeth, we’ll talk about the rest of the ingredients:
- Bentonite clay – one of the common ingredients in DIY wellness recipes because of its many health benefits. Just like activated charcoal, it carries a strong negative charge that pulls and binds ions to its surface. It’s a key ingredient in teeth whitening products because of its remineralization properties. It contains calcium, silica, and magnesium that help strengthen and enforce your teeth’s enamel.
- Eggshell powder – made from, of course, crushed eggshells that are washed and cured to eliminate all that nasty sulfur and salmonella. It’s rich in bio-available calcium that is dense and easily absorbed by your system. Adding this to your activated charcoal paste helps you control plaque and strengthens your teeth’s enamel.
- Coconut oil – commonly used in India for oil pulling, which is swishing it around your mouth like mouthwash. It helps eliminate bacteria that cause bad breath, gum problems, and cavities.
*Caution: Do not use metallic objects for mixing and storing. The metal reacts with your ingredients, changing its pH level and pulling capabilities. Use a ceramic or glass bowl along with a wooden spoon or spatula to mix them well.
Activated charcoal with Bentonite clay teeth whitening powder mix
- ½ tsp activated charcoal
- 1 Tbsp bentonite clay
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin coconut oil
Place the activated charcoal and bentonite clay in a glass or ceramic bowl. Using a wooden spoon or spatula then add in the extra-virgin coconut oil until you form a paste. Store in an air-tight metal-free container.
Activated charcoal with eggshell powder teeth whitening mix
When making an eggshell powder, you need to:
- Wash the eggshells thoroughly until all the residual egg is removed. Take out as much of the white membrane as you can.
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Completely submerge the shells in a pot of water and boil on high heat for 5-6 minutes. Push the egg shells down using a spoon to keep them submerged. This will remove all the harmful dirt and bacteria from the egg shells.
- When the foam builds up on the surface, boil for another 3 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and strain out the boiling liquid.
- Line the egg shells on a baking tray and place them in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Pulverize the eggshells finely using a coffee grinder, food processor, or your mortar and pestle. Make sure to grind the shells to a fine powder to lessen its abrasiveness.
To make your teeth whitening powder, mix:
- ½ tsp activated charcoal
- 1 Tbsp eggshell powder
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin coconut oil.
Mix the activated charcoal and eggshell powder thoroughly before adding the coconut oil until you form a paste. Store in an air-tight non-metallic container.
Use your teeth whitening powder mix like you would a regular toothpaste. It’s not advisable to mix activated charcoal, bentonite clay, and eggshell powder in a single mix. That will create a combination that is too abrasive, causing gum irritation and enamel erosion.
If you want to use activated charcoal for teeth whitening, use Actinera® Pearly White activated charcoal whitening powder. It’s specifically formulated to whiten and remineralize teeth using kaolinite clay, calcium carbonate, and pearl powder. It’s finely ground to reduce the risk of irritation and thinning of your teeth.
How do you make your DIY activated charcoal powder less irritating and suitable for teeth whitening? Please share your techniques in the comment section!