Do you suffer from breakouts that leave ugly scars on your skin? Pimples or acne form different types of scars and are often due to loss of tissue. These natural treatments will help reduce acne scars by helping your skin heal faster as well as lighten dark post-acne spots.
A supple, moisturized skin heals and recovers fast. With its soothing and healing properties, aloe vera can benefit pimple scar healing by:
- Reducing inflammation
- Moisturizing the skin
- Boost collagen production
- Prevent dark spots
Applying aloe vera gel on your face will help reduce swelling and redness of acne and thereby promote faster healing, reducing the chances of tissue loss. You can use prepared aloe vera gel or fresh one from a plant. Just split the aloe vera gel or slice it and scrape off the gel using your fingers or spoon.
How to use aloe vera:
- Clean your face with Actinera® Bamboo Charcoal Face Wash
- Apply the aloe vera gel all over your face, avoiding the eye and mouth area.
- Optional: Cover your skin with cling wrap. Make sure you have a hole around your nose for breathing.
- Keep the gel on your skin for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse the gel off thoroughly with warm water, finishing with a splash of cold water.
- Use a soft washcloth to gently pat dry your skin.
It’s going to be really sticky, and fresh aloe vera from a plant may have a musky odor. However, if used regularly, you’ll be able to see the difference in your skin. You can use the aloe vera gel twice a day, or every day for better results.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is probably the most proliferative natural ingredient you’ll have in your home. From cooking, cleaning, and even skincare solutions, apple cider has many health benefits that make it a must-have in your pantry.
There are not enough conclusive studies on how apple cider can help reduce acne scars. However, apple cider is a natural option for chemical peeling. Spot treatment of apple cider vinegar can help remove damaged outer layer of your skin, eliminating post-pimple marks.
This is due to its highly acidic nature, which you should take seriously. When using apple cider vinegar, it’s best to weaken it with water to prevent burning and further irritation. Some have experienced suffering chemical burns due to using pure or strong preparations of ACV.
How to use apple cider vinegar:
- Mix 1 part apple cider vinegar to 2-3 parts water. Test the solution on a hidden patch of skin like under the jawline. If it stings too much, add a bit more water until you only have a slight tingling sensation instead of a sharp sting.
- Cleanse your skin with a facial wash and warm water.
- Use a Q-tip to dab the solution on your pimple scars. You can also do this on a forming pimple to prevent scarring.
- Leave it for 5-20 seconds before rinsing it off thoroughly with tepid water.
- Gently pat your skin dry.
Use ACV 2-3x a day. Don’t use ACV if you have a severe breakout or have wounds on your skin. The acidity of ACV can irritate and can worsen your acne. Use it every 2-3 times a week to prevent burns or irritation.
Tomato not only taste great, but it also has several skin benefits. Tomatoes have Vitamin A and carotenoids which are essential anti-oxidants that help heal your skin and promote skin renewal. It also contains lycopene which can help lighten post-pimple scars. What’s good about tomatoes is that it’s got a light acidity that can help clear your skin without leaving skin burns or rashes.
How to use tomato for clearing pimple scars
There are several ways that you can use tomato to ease your scar problems. With every method, it’s essential that you cleanse your face first and pat it dry to help the fruit do its work. Also, you need to stand over the sink as things can get pretty messy with the tomato pulp.
- Slice the tomato in half and save the other half for a salad or meal later. Rub the cut side of the tomato against your skin in gentle, circular motions. Pay attention to your problem areas.
- Once you’ve covered all your skin, set the fruit aside, and use your fingers to massage the juice on your skin.
- Leave the juice on for 30 minutes
- Rinse your face with warm water and gently pat dry.
- Slice the tomato in half and squeeze off the pulp in a small dish.
- Get a quarter of the tomato and scrape off the flesh from the skin. Mash it with the pulp that you got from the tomato.
- Using a foundation brush, apply the pulp on your skin. Let it stay for 10-30 minutes before washing it off thoroughly with warm water.
- Finish with a splash or two of cold water, and gently pat your face dry.
Remember that you don’t have to use the whole tomato. Store the rest for eating or snack on the left-overs while waiting for the tomato to dry. Daily application can help give you the best results.
Honey is one of the natural remedies that’s been around for thousands of years. It’s a natural moisturizer and has several beneficial properties such as minerals, antioxidants, enzymes, and vitamins for healing. Not only does it heal damaged cells, but it also softens your skin. It’s also an effective antiseptic to help prevent pimples from getting worse or infected. It’s best to use raw honey because it’s pure and
How to use honey:
- Clean your face thoroughly to help the honey penetrate your skin.
- Apply the honey on your skin, concentrating on problem spots. Avoiding eye and mouth area.
- Leave the honey on your face for 10 minutes
- Wash the honey off thoroughly with warm water, finishing with cold water.
- Pat dry your face gently with a soft washcloth.
You can make a honey mask using other natural ingredients such as lemon, cinnamon, and turmeric. You can use plain honey every morning, and leave the other colorful ingredients for the evening.
Onion and oatmeal mask
Onion has potent anti-inflammatory properties that can help ease the production of acne, preventing tissue damage. It can regulate collagen formation to help prevent the formation of scars as well as improve the elasticity of your skin. By controlling collagen formation, your skin retains its elasticity to improve the appearance of saucer-shaped acne scars.
Because of the potency and acidity of the onion, it’s best to test it on a small spot to see if you’ll have a reaction. Some who have sensitive skin will experience irritation due to the strong onion enzymes.
How to make the mask
- Clean your face thoroughly with Actinera® Bamboo Charcoal Face Wash.
- Get 3 tablespoons of oatmeal and pour enough boiling water just to soften it and make a really dense paste.
- Peel a medium-sized onion and give it a rough chop.
- Place the onion and oatmeal in a blender and pulse it to form a thick paste. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- While the mixture is still warm, apply it on your face, concentrating on problem areas.
- Leave the mask to dry for 10-20 minutes. If it stings, rinse off immediately.
- Remove the mask thoroughly by washing your face with warm water, then with cold water.
- Gently pat your skin dry.
Even though there’s oatmeal added to the face pack, onion is still strong. Use it once a day or 2-3 days in a week to prevent irritation.
Turmeric has many antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that can help ease acne formation, reducing the development of scars. It also has antioxidants like curcumin that help lighten skin complexion by reducing melanin production. You can easily find them in powdered or as fresh roots in Asian grocery stores. If you’re buying turmeric powder, make sure you get pure turmeric and not the one used for making tea.
How to use turmeric
- Clean your face thoroughly.
- Get a teaspoon of turmeric and gradually add drops of water until you form a paste.
- Apply on your face using your fingertips or foundation brush, concentrating on problem areas. Avoid the eye are mouth area.
- Leave it for 20 minutes, or let the paste dry on your skin.
- Wash off with cool water, and pat your skin dry.
You can use manuka honey instead of water to help tone and moisturize your skin. If you’re going to use fresh root turmeric, scrape off the peel using a spoon, then grate it to use as a paste. You’ll get a yellowish tinge on your skin with pure, natural turmeric, so it’s best to use it a night. You can use this daily or every other day.
Sandalwood is a type of aromatic wood that has a unique distinct smell that is soft, warm, and creamy. It provides a woody base on perfumes and serves as a fixative. Aside from its fragrance, sandalwood has antimicrobial properties and can help lighten post-pimple scars.
How to use sandalwood paste
- Cleanse your face thoroughly with a facial wash and warm water.
- Get 2 tablespoons of sandalwood powder and add water a little bit of a time to form a paste.
- Apply it on your face and scrub it in for a few minutes.
- You can leave it on for 20 minutes, or rinse it off the next morning with cold water.
- Pat your face dry gently with a clean face cloth.
You can make the paste using rosewater, honey, or lemon for a more soothing and effective acne scar treatment. You can also throw in a portion of turmeric for combination scar treatment effects. Daily use is recommended for faster results.
Cucumber juice is more than just a soothing, refreshing drink that you will crave over the summer. It’s a natural astringent that helps lighten your skin, reduce inflammation, and tighten your pores. Compared to other natural remedies, cucumber has the same pH as your skin, making it the perfect balancer and buffer for skin healing.
How to use cucumber juice
- Clean your face thoroughly with Actinera® Bamboo Charcoal Face Wash.
- Grate about an inch or two of cucumber. Place the pulp inside a clean, thin cloth and squeeze out the cucumber juice.
- Using a cotton ball, apply the cucumber juice on your face and leave it for 20 minutes. Rinse off thoroughly with cold water.
You can also add in rosewater, lemon juice, honey, yogourt, or oatmeal, depending on your mood and your goal for acne scar treatment. Because cucumber is mild and gentle, you can use it every day.
Fenugreek has anti-inflammatory and skin lightening properties that help reduce dark post-pimple marks. It also makes the skin soft, promoting better scar healing. Compared to other natural remedies, this process requires quite a bit of preparation, but it’s all worth it.
- Boil 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds and two cups of water.
- Boil the seeds until they become soft.
- Let it cool down and use an electric mill to grind them. You can also pound them into a paste using a mortar and pestle.
- Cleanse your face and pat your skin dry thoroughly.
- Once the paste has cooled down completely, apply on your face, avoiding the eye and mouth area.
- Let it stay for 15 minutes before rinsing off thoroughly with warm water.
Don’t let the paste stay on your face for more than 30 minutes, and you can keep the rest of it in the fridge. Daily use gives the best results for acne scar treatment.
Just like turmeric, neem has been used by ancients for Ayuverdic practices due to its multiple health benefits. Not only does it treat and prevent acne breakouts, but it also helps lighten pimple scars for blemish-free skin. You can use fresh leaves, or get dried neem powder to make a paste.
How to use neem powder
- Clean your face and pat it dry.
- Get a tablespoon of neem powder and yogurt to make a paste.
- Apply the mask on your face, avoiding the eye and mouth area.
- Leave it for 25 minutes to before rinsing off with water.
- Pat your face dry with a clean washcloth.
You can use neem powder daily or every other day
These acne scars natural treatment tips won’t be able to help with loss of tissue, but they will help a lot in the post healing process. To help these treatments do their work, always have clean skin before using them. Always remember to moisturize afterward to keep your face soft and supple.
What do you use for natural acne scar treatment? Please share your tips, practices, and experience in our comment section!